Askja and Holuhraun
Highlights: Canyon, glacier rivers, Askja caldera, Víti crater, Holuhraun, Dragon canyon.
Day tour from Egilsstaðir to the volcano Askja and the wilderness of Vatnajökull National Park. On our way to Askja we cross Kárahnjúkar dam, the biggest of its kind in Europe, and see the magnifcent canyon Hafrahvammagljúfur. After that we experience the barren interior of Iceland and the lunar-like landscape where NASA trained the Apollo Astronauts. We then head to Dyngjufjöll, where the Askja caldera is, but first we stop at Dreki to have lunch. After our lunch, we drive to Vikraborgir craters where we start our 2,4 km walk to the crater Víti and the Lake of Askja. After visiting Askja and Drekagil we will visit Holuhraun lava field whitch sits on the floodplains between Vatnajökull Glacier and the Askja caldera Mountain Range. The rough, untouched and still cooling lava field is Iceland’s youngest lava field and we have the opportunity to explore this amazing world. From there we drive back to Arnardalur, Möðrudalur, Jökuldalur and Egilsstaðir.
- Duration:12-14 hrs
- Price: ISK 46.500-*
- Available: 20. June. through Sept. 15.
- Departure: 08:00
- Transportation: Super Jeep
- Lunch Pack: ISK 3.400
- Equipment: Warm clothes and good shoes.
* Price is pr. person with minimum of 2 adults (12 years and younger pay 50 % of full price).
- Departure from Egilsstaðastofa vistors center Kaupvangur 17 or hotel pick up in Egilsstaðir.
- Please contact us for departures on other dates.
Private Tours: Super jeep 6 seats ISK 198.000-